Skip to main content

Did I Mention that I'm an Aspiring Author?

It's true! I began writing a non-fiction book when I was 24, which was roughly 27 years ago. I managed to squeeze out a preface and seven fairly decent chapters. However, college happened, which changed my entire approach to and relationship with writing. The idea of going back through all of those paragraphs to wordsmith them into something more appropriate and worthy of publishing seemed daunting, to say the least. Thus, the book stayed "shelved" on my hard drive and backed up numerous times throughout the years until I recently "dusted it off" while perusing an old external hard drive. 

Another reason I had been procrastinating - aside from the fact that I had literally forgotten about it several times - was that the book was initially an autobiography of sorts. At the time I had begun writing it, I had barely started living and experiencing life. I was only seven years into my transition. Although I had a story to tell, it was far less compelling than the one I have been curating all this time. Today, I have much more to share and much more say. 

I recently connected via Facetime with a very respected social media mutual who recently published a book of her own. She shared with me that most publishers are not interested in a memoir from someone who isn't well known, unless it is a crossover into "self help" territory. Therefore, it made more sense that I have waited until now to edit and finish my book as that is 100% the direction in which I am planning to take it. Each chapter will be a "lesson," of sorts intertwined with a relevant personal story. Together, my goal is to offer practical and valuable insights - not just to other trans folk from the perspective of a trans woman, but to everyone who may find resonance in the words and community within the pages.

I don't dare say too much as I fear I have done so already. I am filled with hope and excitement every time I sit in front of this computer to further this endeavor. It is still a work-in-progress, and one that I hope to complete by the end of the year. I do believe that I have made the decision to self-publish because I have neither the desire nor the intention to go through weeks or months of back-and-forth editing followed by the "hurry up and wait" period before the book is actually published. With my robust skillset, I am confident that I can make this launch a success.

Rest assured, you will be hearing more about this book as I progress. I will be promoting it heavily on almost all of the social media platforms and reaching out to local book stores, as well. I plan to drop off a couple of copies to local libraries, if they will accept them. I do not need a publisher to secure an ISBN or a bar code; they can be purchased independently, which will allow me to promote and sell with other retailers in addition to and outside of Amazon.

Stay tuned!

Comments